What it's all about...

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a simple mechanism for adding style (e.g. fonts, colors, spacing) to Web documents.

The above quote, taken from the W3C website, is one of the reasons for this site. Whilst I agree that it is a mechanism for adding style to web documents, I do not agree that it is a SIMPLE mechanism. It can be very complicated, as I found out when I took my first steps down this path.

CSSplay, by the way, is now listed on the w3c.org website.

So I have created this site in the hope that it will help newcomers to CSS and show old hands that it is more than just a mechanism for styling your documents. It is oh so much more.

Because CSSplay deals with experimental CSS that is exactly what you get JUST CSS, no javascript or any other programming language has been used in any of the demonstrations. For javascript demonstrations please click the javascript link in the main navigation bar which will take you to my other site which is dedicated to demonstrations using CSS and minimal, unobtrusive, javascript.

Use the correct DocType Definition (DTD)

Please , please, please note that for most of my demonstrations to work, especially in Internet Explorer, you MUST use a standards compliant !DOCTYPE, and for Internet Explorer this MUST be the first line of your (x)html.
Using will switch IE into quirks mode.

A list of the recommended DTDs can be found at the following link:
Recommended DTDs to use in your Web document.